The Special Forty is classic Dynaudio: all the craftsmanship, attention to detail and total love of authentic sound you’ve come to expect.
The Special Forty uses Dynaudio's proprietary MSP (Magnesium Silicate Polymer) material for its main driver. MSP delivers precisely the right combination of rigidity, damping and stability for the most faithful sound reproduction. The cone itself uses a symmetrical excursion for even better midrange performance. Behind it sits an asymmetrical spider – Dynaudio's passive harmonic rectifier. It minimises upper harmonics to further tighten the performance and provide better separation. And, like Dynaudio's other MSP cones, it’s a one-piece design (you can tell by the special balance ribs around the central dust-cap). This gives it an incredibly solid connection to the voice-coil, as well as stabilising its form. It all sits in a special AirFlow Basket – the bit that holds the whole driver motor securely in place in the cabinet. Its development reduces internal reflections and increases air movement without compromising the basket’s stiffness or stability.
The new Esotar Forty tweeter has a new pressure conduit. It’s a shaped vent in the back of the hybrid magnet system that allows more space in the rear chamber. That space packs in more damping material and reduces back-pressure, while the shape itself optimises airflow coming backwards from the rear of the dome. The outlet; the aero-coupled pressure-release system sits underneath the voice-coil and reduces unwanted pressure build-up that could affect its movement. Stopping those pockets of air from forming reduces resonance – and less resonance equals even greater potential for detail.
In the woofer, Dynaudio place the magnet inside the voice-coil. The magnet turns electrical energy that flows from your amplifier into the voice-coil, into the physical back-and-forth movement of the driver diaphragm. These movements are very small and very fast (especially in the tweeter), so they need a lot of finesse if you want to hear all that luscious detail and emotion in your music. Other manufacturers typically put it around the outside edge, leaving the voice-coil hollow. Putting the magnet inside keeps the magnetic energy (or flux) in the optimum position for getting itself wrapped around the voice-coil – where it should be. That means the speaker can use more of its power for a given weight. It also reduces internal reflections because there’s less material for sound to bounce off inside the driver.
Dynaudio use a hybrid magnet for even greater control over the flux and voice-coil movement. An incredibly powerful neodymium rare-earth magnet provides the muscle and flings flux around with abandon, while a ferrite magnet tempers that enthusiasm by gently moving the flux back to exactly where it’s needed most. The result? Symmetrical excursion, a reduction in second-harmonics, and an even more accurate, authentic sound.
- Esotar Forty: The new Esotar Forty tweeter maximises airflow for even more refinement, while its low resonant frequency smooths the transition to the woofer.
- 17cm woofer: Dynaudio's best 17cm woofer yet. It's based on what you'll find in the Confidence and Evidence ranges, and uses a sophisticated hybrid magnet system for lower distortion and higher power.
- First-order crossover: Phase Alignment and Impedance Alignment technologies keep this classic Dynaudio crossover topology firmly on top of its game.
- Special finishes: The Special Forty's exclusive Black Vine finish is a striking contrast of dark veneer shot through with vivid orange, while Ebony Wave is a captivatingly sinuous take on the classic hardwood. Both finishes are as striking as they are beautiful – and are unique to each speaker.
- Sensitivity: 86dB (2.83V / 1m)
- IEC power handling: 200W
- Impedance: 6 Ohms
- Frequency response (±3dB): 41Hz – 23kHz
- Box principle: Bass-reflex rear ported
- Crossover: 2-way
- Crossover frequency: 2000Hz
- Crossover typology: 1st order
- Woofer: 17cm MSP cone
- Tweeter: 28mm Esotar Forty
- Weight: 8.1kg / 17.9lb
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 198 x 360 x 307mm
- Dimensions with feet/grille (WxHxD): 198 x 360 x 322mm
- Finishes/grilles: Black Vine / Ebony Wave